- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar (or white distilled)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons 14-spice dry rub mix (for recipe, go to www.TheYummyLife.com/recipes/69)
- FOR VARIATIONS*:
- Cayenne pepper
- Liquid Smoke
--Sweet and Tangy. Use the original recipe described above.
--Smoky. Add 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke per 1 cup of sauce.
--Spicy. Add 1/4 to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper per 1 cup of sauce (according to how much heat you want).
--Sherry's favorite combo - very spicy with a hint of smoke. For each 1 cup of sauce, add 1 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke. I also add the 'Smoky' and a bit of cayenne to this, and garlic!
CAN IT: This recipe is suitable for canning as long as you don't decrease the ratio of vinegar to other ingredients. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/4" head space. Process half and full pints for 20 minutes in boiling water canner.
This recipe has been adapted from Melanie and the pic is from her too.