Some safety measures you should think about are:
1. If you have a child, they need to be in a car seat in the back seat of your vehicle. Most car seats are not installed properly so go down to your local police station and ask for a car seat safety check. 2. Wear a seat-belt, it is so easy and can prevent many injures, yet millions of people do not wear a seat-belt.
3. Do NOT drive if you are tired, under the influence of alcohol or taking medications that specifically say, "Do not operate heavy equipment."
4. Leave space between your vehicle and the one in front of you. Riding someone's bumper is dangerous because if someone hits you from behind or the person in front of you breaks quickly you are asking for trouble.
5. There are traffic lights for a reason, follow them. Running traffic lights not only put you in danger but the others around you as well.
6. Keep your headlights on at all times, having your headlights on is important because cars can see your car better.
7. Follow the speed limit, I know this is hard but there is a limit for a reason. Millions of accidents are speed related.
8. Use your directional, not letting fellow drivers where you are about to go is dangerous.
9. Make sure you are only driving, not talking on the phone, balancing your checkbook, putting on make-up, etc...
10. Pay attention to road conditions, if they are bad-don't drive.
11. Make sure you are well rested, many accidents are caused because people fall asleep behind the wheel.
12. Use your mirrors; they are there to help you navigate.
13. Traffic signs are very important but people don't always follow them. If the sign says no u-turn, do not do one!
14. Make sure you know where you are going. Often drivers who are going somewhere new are trying to read a map and drive at the same time. When you are driving, that is all you should be concentrating on.
15. Street racing is a huge no no! If you want to race go to a race track, it is not fair to endanger other drives because you want to race.
16. Use your manners when driving, aggressive drivers are more likely to be in or cause an accident.
17. Make sure you can see when driving, if you need glasses to drive-then use them. Please no sunglasses on in the evening; looking cool is not worth endangering someone else's life.
18. Most important take your time and pay attention to the road. Vehicles are thousands and thousands of pounds and are capable of causing large amounts of damage.
Published by Michelle Powers